DSSRC Refers Health-Related Product and Earnings Claims for Flavon USA to FTC
703.247.9330 / email@example.com
McLean, VA – November 18, 2020 – The Direct Selling Self-Regulatory Council (DSSRC) of BBB National Programs today referred certain marketing claims made by Flavon USA, LLC (Flavon) to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) for possible enforcement action after Flavon failed to participate in the self-regulatory process and provide substantiation for the claims. At issue in DSSRC’s inquiry earnings and health-related product claims implying that Flavon’s products, dietary vegetable, and fruit concentrate dietary supplements, can treat and prevent a number of health-related conditions.
The following representative claims were brought to Flavon’s attention as a result of the DSSRC’s ongoing independent monitoring of the direct selling marketplace. They have now been referred to the FTC.
- "Flavon came into my life 7 years ago and what is one of the best proofs for me is that since then I have not been sick or with mild symptoms and in a short time I have been through even the harshest viruses and flu like my friends or family. For me, the essential accessory of my ‘home pharmacy’ the Green Plus, which also contains yeast beta-glucan, which has an immunomodulatory effect. #viruses #immunesystem”
- “Don’t wait until the next virus. PREVENT, PROTECT, MAINTAIN YOUR HEALTH Boost your immune system Now and for the Future…”
- “I think is just the right time to share with you how I won the battle with the flu. Let me tell you I am 8 months pregnant and survived without any medications. What actually helped me was FLAVON…I can’t be more grateful, as this time the flu was the most horrible in my life and I am so happy that I had all I need in hand – Flavon. Best way to protect our family is to get vitamins from natural sources as Flavon.”
- “The active ingredients of vegetables in the product may help:
- In alkalizing an acidified body which is very important in cancer and inflammatory processes
- In the prevention of Parkinson’s Disease
- Blood pressure problems
- Joint problems, preventing gout/relieving gout symptoms (due to turmeric content)
- Enhancing Your Immune System (Due to Beta Glucan Content) High in Vitamin C
- Enhancement Positive effects on the nervous system Important for smokers – smoking makes vitamin C difficult to absorb )with FlavonMax+)
- Image with copy stating: DIABETES, ECZEMA, CANCER, ALZHEIMERS, PARKINSONS, ALLERGIES, ASTHMA
- “Antioxidants, flavonoids deactivate harmful free radicals, slow down aging processes, boost up immune system, have antibacterial , antiviral, anti-asthmatic and anti-allergic effects, have an important role in preventing malignant tumors, have a positive effects on the circulatory system and decrease the number of complications of diabetes.”
- “…it is important that we continue to pay attention to increased support for our immune system! With the Flavon Peak Fruit, I give myself the extra energy for training and the maximum immune protection against viruses and bacteria!”
- “Corona virus?... Boost Your Immune System With LIVE Fruit & Oil Essence!” #corona #flavonoids #immunsystem #life #lifeisgood
- “inhibitors can be added to the body to help treat viral infections (infusion, coronavirus) by improving the body's immune activity.”
- “#flavon #covid_19 #korona #vírus”
- “#flavon #titok #életmódváltás #stopcovid19”
- “Prevents and treats cystitis conditions and kidney problems, For musculoskeletal problems (arthritis, trauma, pains) combine with Flavon joy. For hormonal balance combine with Flavon Kids. #kidney #cystitis #arthritis”
- “Totally protect for your kids to virus, bacterial or other infection.”
- “Join us and set your own schedule. You have the chance to do it as a part-time job or even while doing your studies. Joining is free, be your own boss. No high expectations.
- You can quit without any obligations or compulsory payment. And you can start over any time you wish.
- Our products make the business part a lot easier. They help you maintain a healthy, high-quality life.”
Flavon failed to respond to DSSRC’s requests for substantiation for its business opportunity claim and health-related/wellness benefit product claims.
In accordance with DSSRC’s Policies and Procedures, in the event the company whose marketing is the subject of a DSSRC inquiry fails to participate in the self-regulatory process, DSSRC may refer the matter to an appropriate government agency for review and possible law enforcement action. In this case, that government agency is the FTC.
About BBB National Programs: BBB National Programs is where businesses turn to enhance consumer trust and consumers are heard. The non-profit organization creates a fairer playing field for businesses and a better experience for consumers through the development and delivery of effective third-party accountability and dispute resolution programs. Embracing its role as an independent organization since the restructuring of the Council of Better Business Bureaus in June 2019, BBB National Programs today oversees more than a dozen leading national industry self-regulation programs, and continues to evolve its work and grow its impact by providing business guidance and fostering best practices in arenas such as advertising, child-directed marketing, and privacy. To learn more, visit bbbprograms.org.
About the Direct Selling Self-Regulatory Council: The Direct Selling Self-Regulatory Council (DSSRC), a division of BBB National Programs, provides independent, impartial monitoring, dispute resolution, and enforcement of false product claims and income representations made by direct selling companies and their salesforce members across digital platforms. The DSSRC seeks to establish high standards of integrity and business ethics for all direct selling companies in the marketplace.
DSSRC Administrative Closure #120
DSSRC Administrative Closure #119
DSSRC Administrative Closure #118
NAD Recommends L’Oréal Discontinue “#1 Dermatologist Recommended” Claim for CeraVe; Advertiser to Appeal
The National Advertising Division (NAD) recommended that L’Oréal USA discontinue claims that CeraVe is the “#1 dermatologist recommended skincare brand” and that it is the “#1 recommended non-OTC moisturizer for acne-prone skin.”